The employee HR personnel number
Do your employees have an HR personnel number? In the company, this number is shown on their badge but also on their pay slip and in the employee’s HR file. It is used to uniquely identify the employee within the company.
In My Intranet, each employee has a unique identifier that is used to log on. This identifier can very well be his HR personnel number. But it can also be his email address or a login composed of his first and last name. In addition to the login identifier, it is also possible to associate one or more matricule numbers to each employee.
Format of the HR personnel number
My Intranet HRIS works with an intelligent system of custom fields. These fields are associated to each employee individually. For the personnel number, this will be a text field which can be a sequence of numbers, letters or a mix of both. The proposed format offers great freedom. This information must allow the employee to be identified in the company’s records.
An employee may have more than one personnel number :
- Payroll number : used on pay slips.
- IT personnel number : for connection to the various applications.
- Badge number : for access to the company’s offices.
This isn’t an issue in My Intranet since it is possible to have as many different personnel numbers as you wish thanks to the data integrated in the custom fields.
Here are some tips to define the format of a personnel number :
- This code number must be unique so that there is no risk of confusion between employees in the different databases where it appears.
- It must meet the assigned target. For example, you can include a letter to identify the location if you need to distinguish between them.
- It must be compatible with the constraints of the different systems where it will be integrated. Some softwares are not very flexible and will not accept numbers with letters or dashes. This is not the case with My Intranet, which is particularly flexible to facilitate the administrative management of employees.
In order to be compliant with the GDPR, the HR personnel number must not contain any personal information. Thus, the company should not use the individual’s social security number as a unique identifier on the pay slip.
Why use a number instead of the employee’s name?
For the employer, it might be tempting to use the employee’s identity to identify him. Indeed, this might seem much simpler on paper. However, this would pose some difficulties :
- if two employees have the same name, it would be impossible to distinguish them.
- the format used could be different from one software to another: “name – first name”, “first name – last name”, etc…
Therefore, the use of a unique identifier mainly based on a unique sequence of numbers is the only reliable way to guarantee the uniqueness of each employee profile and to allow a reliable communication between My Intranet and a payroll software.
Importing personnel numbers
My Intranet was designed from the beginning to make life easier for its users. So rather than having to enter personnel numbers one by one under each employee profile, My Intranet offers a batch import module that allows you to import thousands of personnel numbers in a few seconds. This also limits the risk of errors during data entry.
You can use the import module at any time to enroll new employees or later to update profiles in bulk in order to be synchronized with your internal records.
The use of personnel numbers
The personnel numbers can be used at different levels in My Intranet :
- in the vacation module, at the report level where the personnel number can be displayed to facilitate payroll import.
- in the internal directory, on the employee’s HR file.
- in the expense report module, on the reports where the personnel number can once again be retrieved to facilitate the import into the accounting software.
- in the planning module, again at the report level.
The personnel number is used as an internal correspondence key that can be reused with third-party software. Human resources management is thus more fluid and simplified from an administrative point of view.
Where can I view my HR number?
On My Intranet, for the employee, the personnel number is visible in the internal directory in the data associated with each profile. Depending on the configuration, this information will be visible to the whole company or only to the employee and the HR database administrators.
The personnel number is included in the various reports generated by each module. The export files include this unique number in order to facilitate the connection with third-party software.